Thunderstruck is a song by AC/DC and one of the most famous AC/DC songs ever. It is best known for a main riff heard at the begining. Contrary to popular belief, Young does not play "Thunderstruck"'s main riff with one hand. Instead, he picks every fretted note and pulls off the open notes. Additionally in all AC/DC live videos, Angus can clearly be viewed picking every fretted note. The one-handed tapping technique can only be seen in the "Thunderstruck" music video. The song peaked at number No. 5 on U.S. Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks. It was released as a single in Germany, Australia and Japan. The song is said to be inspired by lead guitarist Angus Young's hair-raising experience when a plane he was on was struck by lightning. Another theory states that the song was conceived when the band watched a Combined Arms Livefire EXercise (CALFEX) at Ft. Hood. The band was so impressed by the M1A1 tank that they wrote a song about it. However, Angus Young was later to say that it "started off from a little trick I had on guitar. I played it to Mal and he said 'Oh, I've got a good rhythm idea that will sit well in the back.' We built the song up from that ... It was really just a case of finding a good title. We came up with this thunder thing and it seemed to have a good ring to it. AC/DC=Power. That's the basic idea."
- In the 1990s, song was played at the beginning of sporting events for the University of North Dakota during the introduction of their mascot, Thunder the Bleacher Creature. It was also the inspiration for the character which, at the time, replaced the traditional Sioux mascot.
- The song is used for Blue Thunder (Monster Truck) during Monster Jams freestyle event.
- The song is used in the 1999 movie Varsity Blues.
- The song is used in the 2005 movie The Longest Yard starring Adam Sandler and Chris Rock, before the movie's climatic final game, and If You Want Blood.
- The song is used for a commercial for the 2007 movie Hot Rod.
- During the campaign of 2004, then Leader of the Opposition, now Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper named "Thunderstruck" as his favorite song.
- Australian car manufacturer Holden has used Thunderstruck (as well as other AC/DC songs) in its commercials.
- British rock band The Darkness would sometimes perform the intro to this song at certain concerts during their tour.
- The song is played at Port Adelaide Football Club home games when the cheer squad and dancers come on AAMI Stadium before the game.
- Fresno State Bulldogs fans use the song for "Third Down Thunder", a crowd taunt at important third downs.
- Melbourne Storm use this song when they enter before a game. They also played it after winning their first premiership in 1999.
- This song was played in the episode "Down for the Count" in the short lived TV series Carpoolers.
- The song is used by the USAF demo team, the Thunderbirds, following the "sneak pass".
- The song is played when Philadelphia Phillies starting pitcher Cole Hamels takes the field.
- The song was played when Chicago White Sox relief pitcher J. J. Putz enters the game and after he records an out; since coming to the White Sox, which already use the song when taking the field, he has now taken "The Razors Edge" as his song due to a Comcast SportsNet contest to determine the winner.
- The song is played when the Chicago White Sox take the field at home.
- The song was played when former Atlanta Braves pitcher John Smoltz comes up to the plate.
- The song is played during the introduction of Michigan State Spartans football games at Spartan Stadium. While the song is played, a video of Sparty is shown slicing through the visiting team's logo followed by a montage of great Spartan plays.
- The song is played during Alabama and Auburn football games, during the opening kickoffs, and randomly throughout the game.
- The rock band Hinder have released a cover of the song as the final track, track 12 (Australian version) off their latest album Take It To The Limit.
- Italian fidget house duo Crookers released a remix of the song entitled "AC/DC-Thunderstruck (Crookers Remix)".
- Swedish ice hockey team that today is known as Frölunda HC, but at the time were known as Västra Frölunda HC, used the song as their game intro in the 93/94 season.
- Australian rugby league team, the Melbourne Storm, use the song at home games as players run onto the field. A portion of the song can also occasionally be heard as the team nears the try line.
- "Thunderstruck" is the theme song of the NBA's newest team, the Oklahoma City Thunder, however they recently use Hinder's cover of the song since the band is from Oklahoma City.
- The song is played as the Arizona Wildcats run onto the field at every home game.
- The song was used as the bridal party entrance song at the Brian Mazurski/Jayme Wagley wedding celebration on 2/28/2009.
- Dutch Football club SC Heerenveen take the field to this song at their home games.
- Scottish Football club Heart of Midlothian take to the pitch to this song at their home games at Tynecastle.
- Irish Football club Dundalk F.C. take the field to this song at their home games.
- The song is played before the opening kickoff at Oregon State University football home games.
- Part of the song is played before Tampa Bay Lightning home games.
- The song is available in AC/DC Live: Rock Band Track Pack for the Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, and PS2. The songs can also be exported into Rock Band and Rock Band 2.
- Part of the song is played before St. Ignatius College Prep home football games at Amos Alonzo Stagg Field in Chicago.
- Arturo Gatti used "Thunderstruck" as his ring entrance music for the majority of his career.
- A portion of the song was played as an opening recap in the episode "Sympathy for the Devil", the season-five premiere of the television series Supernatural.
- Irish rugby team Leinster Rugby take to the field for their home games to "Thunderstruck".
- The song was a theme for World Wrestling Entertainment's WrestleMania XXVI.
- Manny Pacquiao used "Thunderstruck" as one of his ring entrance music before his fight against Joshua Clottey.
- Kurt Pellegrino used this song as his entrance song during UFC 111.
- used in Sony Bravia TV advertisement
- The song was used for TV Spots for the 2010 film Iron Man 2, and appears on the AC/DC compilation album released as the film's soundtrack.
- The song was played before Thunder took the stage at concerts.
- An edited version (the intro is played twice and edited together) is used on the BBC's 5Live radio station on their Formula 1 coverage during the formation lap of each race.
- Gilbert Yvel used this song as his entrance song at UFC 108.
- "Thunderstruck" is a chain-style drinking game that revolves around the song. The first player starts drinking beer the first time the word "thunder" is sung, and does not stop until it is sung again, at which point the next person will start drinking.
- The song is used at all home games as the players for the Baltimore Blast of the Major Indor Soccer League are introduced.
- The song is featured in the video game Madden NFL 11.
Ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh Ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh Ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh Ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh Ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh
Ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh (Thunder) Ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh (Thunder) Ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh (Thunder) Ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh (Thunder) Ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh (Thunder) Ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh (Thunder) Ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh (Thunder) (Thunder) (Thunder) (Thunder)
I was caught In the middle of a railroad track (Thunder) Looked around And I knew there was no turning back (Thunder) My mind raced And I thought, "What can I do?" (Thunder) And I knew There was no help, no help from you (Thunder)
Sound of the drums Beatin' in my heart The thunder of guns Tore me apart
You've been thunderstruck
Went down the highway Broke the limit, we hit the town Went through to Texas, yeah, Texas And we had some fun We met some girls Some dancers who gave a good time Broke all the rules, played all the fools Yeah, yeah, they, they, they blew our minds
And I was shakin' at the knees Could I come again please? Yeah, the ladies were too kind
You've been thunderstruck Thunderstruck Yeah yeah yeah, thunderstruck Ooh, thunderstruck Yeah
Now we're shaking at the knees Could I come again please?
Ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh Ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh Ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh Ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh
Thunderstruck Thunderstruck Yeah yeah yeah, thunderstruck Thunderstruck, yeah yeah yeah
Said yeah, it's alright We're doing fine Yeah, it's alright We're doing fine, so fine
Thunderstruck, yeah yeah yeah Tunderstruck, thunderstruck Thunderstruck Whoa baby baby, thunderstruck You've been thunderstruck (Ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh) Thunderstruck (Ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh) Thunderstruck (Ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh) Thunderstruck (Ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh-ahhhh) You've been thunderstruck